Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Nutrition For the Runner

Today I am wondering if there is any nutritional value in snot.  Seriously, am I the only one whose sinus cavities and mucus membranes kick into overdrive when you start running?  It happens to me every time I exercise, and yesterday was no exception.  Okay, granted it was 36 degrees and foggy/misty enough to keep us from seeing our "let's just see if we can make it to ...." landmarks, but Mattie didn't seem to be having any nose problems.  We both had music pumping into our ears, making it difficult to hear each other, so once when she sped up so she could stop and tie her shoe, I turned my head, pressed one side of my nose shut and blew the other side all over the ground... and my pant leg.  I mean, let's be honest, it was messier than firing a sawed-off shotgun.  Even though, at the time, I felt like I would die if I didn't clear my head, the instant I did it I felt so disgustingly masculine.  No offense to my man-readers, but the truth is double standards exist and one of them is that you are allowed to be a bit gross and still be considered charming, whereas we are not.  I knew in my heart of hearts that if my 13 year old daughter caught me doing such a thing, especially since we were running past the school she attends and has to show her face in everyday, I would do permanent and irrevocable damage to our relationship.  For the rest of the run, down the hatch it all went.  Yum.

We did 2 laps, 2.3 miles, and we ran more of it than we did last time, but it still took us 33 minutes.  1 minute better.  I think I must have been walking too slowly in between the running.  I'll have to work on keeping my pace quicker.  Mattie didn't have any side cramps this time and I think she probably could have gone faster than me, but she's a good girl and didn't inherit my competitive nature.

I did not go to the orthopedic doctor yesterday after all.  I mean, I went, but didn't get seen.  When they first set that appointment for 2:30, I asked them if they thought they'd be able to get finished with me before 3 when my kids have to be picked up from school.  "Yeah, yeah, no problem.  Just a quick x-ray.  You'll be in and out."  I arrived at 2:30 with 2 2 year olds in tow (Tuesdays are my days to keep my niece), and found that there were 6 people ahead of me still waiting to be called back.  So no news on my toe yet.  It only hurts when I kick chairs, so probably it's healing up just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment